Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2005, 09:43 PM

Default EV implications when building your bankroll

I'd like to start an a thread about peoples thoughts on EV in any given situation vs. building a bankroll in microlimit poker. My thoughts are this:

1. You should essentially toss the EV equation out the window if you're building a bankroll at microlimits, especially if you're on a budget and can't keep dipping into you savings to play poker. My logic here is that in a microlimit game, most players will chase a hand and look you up on the river regardless of how you play the hand (ie, bet based on EV if you hit your hand). In other words, if you miss your draw, it's unlikely a bet on the river will buy the pot so you've just taken a big hit based on EV for that hand but missed.

2. You can't risk a significant percentage of your total bankroll on a big draw based on EV. IMO, you should mitigate this risk by building your bankroll first to a pre-determined value (ie, XXX buy in's in a NL game or XXX BB's in a limit game).

I'm curious to hear how other players have weighted their EV play based on how healthy their bankroll was at that time, particuarly at the early building block stages.