Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Did I play this right?

With only two people in the hand, limp calling is a GREAT idea. It accomplishes two very different things:
1. If BB checks, you are now playing a smaller pot that should be easier to control and get away from.
2. If BB raises, you have two options, reraise to get heads up with BB or trap CO, or cold call and play a pot where you know much more information about the aggressor (BB) than he knows about you. Personally I reraise right now and trap some dead money in the pot, then lead the flop, but this hand can be played in many ways.

I'm going to focus on what happened for the remainder of my post, the limp-call of the raise from BB.

Pretty damn good flop for Aces, not only because it makes it unlikely for anyone to have spiked a high set (which BB raising would indicate he has high cards), but also because it is likely to give BB an overpair, and he will probably bet at it like he did (Although it is more likely here that the CO is playing a low pocket pair and hit a set on the flop).

Now to comment on flop play. As I mentioned earlier it is likely that BB has an overpair or at least two overcards to the flop, and will probably bet out, so check-raising is the correct play here in most instances. The cold-call from the CO should be very worrisome... so I don't think you should jam the pot right away, but instead reraise to $22 or so, and after that you're pot stuck [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]