Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2005, 07:18 AM

Default Min-bets are the bane of my NL poker existence.

Nothing confuses, angers, befuddles or otherwise screws me more than min-bets.

Whenever someone min-bets at me in any NL game (the obvious exception being where the min-bet is at huge blind levels OR if it is into a near worthless pot) I feel absolutely compelled to re-raise them, without fail. Any other player who knows me well enough could min-bet into me in order to garner a raise, unless I have a hunch this is what they are doing.

One situations where min-bets just PISS me off is the following: A player min bets the flop, I raise him a significant amount with a hand such as TPTK or top two. When the turn comes a blank, he min bets me again. What is he doing here? Is he just a moron? Does he want another raise? I find it's 50/50 between the two options often.

So what are min-bets? I don't see any position where a solid player should min-bet or min-raise. The only time I use these two is when I think I am against an agressive player, like myself, who will raise my min-bet. This is obviously done when I have a monster and am hoping for a re-raise. I also will min-raise on the button when the blinds are huge and the SB and BB are both weak/tight players.

Other than that, min-bets mess with me. I just don't know WHAT they mean and how to react to them.