Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2005, 05:27 PM

Default More Help ;P

Hello again all [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] First off, I wanna thank everyone who posted to my last message. With you guys help and a lot of practice, Ive managed to go from random chance to consistently beating most of the weak players I go up against. I am usually in the top 3-5 in 16 person tourneys and top 2 in smaller (5 person) tourneys. With that having been said, I still have some recurring difficulties that I would like to ask you guys advice on. I'll start with the more general stuff Ive noticed and then post my general playing 'technique' to see if you guys think I should change it.

First, I'm usually in the top several but I haven't won first at all....and the bigger the game the further away I am. I think this might be because Im beating the weak players but failing against stronger players. Any suggestions about how to play against stronger players that arent pros?

Also, especially in the smaller games, it takes FOREVER to beat out the weak player or two. The ones in my game seem to call anything but a big bet (they're loose card players but tight money wise when it comes to bets). So my question is how hard is too hard to push early game? I feel like if I make playing dependent on putting in bigger bets then theyll do it...but how do I keep making money while doing it. I dont wanna become weak by default since I'll be putting more money in the pot with lesser hands.

Also, I tend to 'follow the blinds' and so do most of the players I play with...so if the blinds are at 1-2 then they tend to bet the min a lot 2...maybe sometimes 4...except for on the end someone will bet big to take the pot? Is there a way to exploit this pattern?

Also, I find that I do better with smaller blinds and when the blinds get big I start losing money. Aside from the obvious point that bigger blinds take more money away, any suggestions on what to do/not to do when the blinds get large? (I'm gonna post the hands I play at certain stages a little further down)

Next, I notice the players who finish higher than me tend to push a lot of money in late...in fact a lot of times if everyone checks and theyre on the button or close, they'll put in a large stack of chips just to steal the blinds? Is this in itself a smart move or are they winning for other reasons?

Further, I have a hard time pushing in gigantic amounts of money on a bluff...and by bluff I mean a hand where you think you may have it but arent sure and are trying to push another player out. Any suggestions on when to bluff/with what hands/draws would be awesome [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Okay, so the hands I play (approx) at diff times in the game are as follows:

Early on, small blinds, 8 people at a table : any pair (smaller must hit on the flop...like below 7 or 8), Ace + (high card), suited connectors/unsuited connectors if to the flop and if they dont get me a darw I fold em, and 2 face cards (sometimes a face and a 10) KQ, KJ, etc.

In the middle of the game (middle blinds, several people) I tend to play all pair a bit harder, Ace + high or suited, suited and unsuited connectors if they hit on the flop as well as one card gap connectors, and any combo of cards 10 and above

At the end I tend to play all pair, any connecting/semi connecting cards, and any face+anything to the flop and see if I can hit it

What would you guys suggest. I would really appreciate any help [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And thanks again for the previous help, Ive definitely gotten a lot better because of you guys!

PS Sorry about the long message...if you just wanna answer a part you know a lot about I'll understand. But I really do need some advice in all of these areas :P

Still Learning,
C