Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2003, 04:24 PM

Default How to overcome a weak-tight mindset?

If you are looking for suggestions on how to overcome a weak-tight mindset, you'll hopefully find them in the responses but not in this post.

I play primarily Omaha 8 or Seven Stud hi/lo but have recently been trying to play more Holdem just because the games are more plentiful and on some sites much looser.

I bought HEFAP a couple of months ago and quickly read it and I've already read TOP (although I could use a reread of both). I've also studied Abdul's holdem strategy document. I have just a little live holdem experience and probably less than 50 hours online, mostly at low limits with a few tourneys thrown in. At limits up to $2/4 I am down slightly overall, I think a little less than .5 BB/hour. I had a really bad session at $2/4 which helped contribute to this greatly.

My question/comment is that I think the biggest problem with my game is a lack of aggression and a weak-tight mindset. I am also getting some beats that may be affecting my thinking (I've lost 5 straight times where I flopped trips and the topper, while headsup I lose a flopped AAA to a flopped QQQ with an AQ5 rainbow board to a runner runner flush. I showed plenty of aggression in that one though as we capped every street except the river. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] )

So I guess what I am asking is how do you realign a passive mindset to be more aggressive? I have no problem being aggresssive preflop with Type 1 hands and will be selectively aggressive with some Type 2 and 3 but it seems I don't play well after the flop - getting pushed out of pots by scare cards or calling river bets to 'keep em honest'. Is there any hope or should I stick to the other games?

Sorry for the rambling and thanks for any and all responses.