Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Dangers of pokertracker stats

I have a ton of friends in Atlanta, and a few weeks ago I was down there visiting. A lot of them are former Magic players and gamers in general, so of course over the past couple years they have all picked up poker. Me and my fancy NYC friends have been playing quite a bit longer than these guys, so some of the beginners in Atlanta wanted to pick our brains about poker strategy. At least that is what I thought they wanted at first. But after talking to them for awhile, it seemed they weren't interested in poker strategy. They were interested in pokertracker strategy!
Everything these guys talked about was in terms of pokertracker. They didn't want to know how to play poker, they wanted to know what their stats should look like. They would find all sorts of "leaks" in their game like "my aggro factor on the turn is too low" or "i'm losing too many showdowns". But if I said "give me an example of a hand you played badly", they couldn't do it. They never discussed hands, they just played poker and then looked at the stats later and compared. When they would come to a conclusion like "I need to wait until the turn to raise" more, I don't think they had any ability to determine which hands they should make that change on. I'm not sure if they really understood why it mattered.
Now that Nate the Great is posting equations to predict you bb/100, the obsession with stats continues. If someone posts tomorrow on 2+2 that the perfect, optimal, holy grail of PFR is 10.2%, how many pokertracker users are going to know which 10.2% we are talking about?