Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Time Consumption

I've played poker on and off since I was probably 7 years old. Started with the home games and as I got older, progressed to B&M and online. I play online pretty much every night, either a couple hours of ring games or several SNGs simultaneously (usually 4 at a time, 3 rounds...so 12 total). I'd say I probably average 3 hours a day playing cards.

Anyone else find that this really throws other aspects of their life off? Some effects I've noticed:

1.) I've never had defined sleeping patterns, but I can't imagine it helps when I'm playing an MTT until 4 in the morning.

2.) I find myself constantly ignoring phone calls, especially when I'm "involved in a hand."

3.) I think about it constantly...whether it's reviewing hands in my head, thinking about my table image, tells I might have missed, etc. etc. etc. The list never stops. Sometimes when I can't sleep at night, my mind starts going about poker and I'm screwed.

4.) The amount of time it takes away from my social life (both family and friends) is a little absurd. I've always looked at poker as a long run game, so I feel that in order to play it affectively, the long hours are required.

5.) Stats tracking is driving me up a wall lately. I probably spend (Playing Time x 10%) analyzing hands, reading books or otherwise looking for leaks in my game.

6.) Poker just seems to make me socially numb. Not sure if that makes sense, but when I'm playing...I'm completely oblivious to the passing of time. I realize I'm not surrounded by clocks in a B&M environment, but online it shouldn't be too difficult to realize 4 hours have passed.

7.) I rarely feel "enough is enough", even for an evening. I may be exhausted, but I don't want to stop playing.

Noteworthy point: I never play outside of a limit I'm comfortable with. I'm never looking to make the big score and I've never had a financial problem due to gambling, I just enjoy it. If I win, great...if I lose, it's not the end of the world by any means.

Anyone else find these things happen on a recurring basis? I'm wondering if I should take a month or two off and re-evaluate.