Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2005, 11:58 PM

Default How to learn Hold\'em

I am extreemly frustrated right now. I have been playing Hold'em seriously since February. I just moved up to .5/1 this month. After 6500 hands my win rate is -0.06BB. This is a good indication to me that I am better than average, but not anywere near good.

Here is my main problem: How do I learn to play better hold'em??? I have done what others have said. I have posted my hands, did some "blind" responces to many hands, read thread after thread, searched posts for specific areas where I am having trouble, and played tight aggressive (eagle on PT). Maybe I am on a bad swing, but I think that is a compout. Too often I am sitting at the table thinking to myself "What the hell do I do now?" That is a total lack of confidence, and while it will happen to all every once in a while, I find myself in the situation of guessing what my play should be. Don't get me wrong here, I know how outs, expectation and such work, but all too often I am folding middle pair so somebody with A high can win, and then later raising middle pair just to loose to top pair. I also don't know when to fold the better hands (see my next post on JJ), or if I even should fold them for that matter. Another major problem I have is knowing when to deviate from the math and play strategy. Example, with AKs rainbow rag flop, no backdoor straight potential. Do I raise with 3 bets in the pot? The odds don't really say so, but the posts here say raise, raise, raise.

So, for those of you who have learned how to "crush" the 0.5/1 level: How did you learn to do it? What step-by-step approach did you take? Did you start with something like Wilson Turbo Hold'em and quiz yourself to death (this would do me well if there was a reliable program on the market, is there?) Does a coach help?

Well thanks for at least letting me vent a bit. Still frustrated though. Any help is appreciated, Thanks.