Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2003, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Stu Ungar movie?

No one said they shouldn't be accountable. In fact part of the recovery process is taking responsibility for the wrongs they hav committed. One of the worst things you can do for an addict is make excuses for them and enable them. Unfortunately the people who love them have a hard time doing that. The quicker the addict hits their bottom the quicker they will seek help.

Actually Al its people like you in our society that are the problem. You take the attitude that its not your fault. That your above this because it hasn't affected you therefore eff em they are on their own. I sincerely hope that you have no children that get mixed up in this. That it never darkens your door. I truly do. Its a horrible thing for the addict and the family. Everyone suffers. But if it ever does Al I hope you take the time to educate yourself on the subject. You are way in the dark here.

Who am I? What qualifies me?
I'll tell you.........I am a 20 year recovering addict. Clean and sober 20 years now and still recovering. My recovery is a day to day thing. I will never be cured. Thats terminal pal. I have sponsered numerous recovering addicts in a 12 step program. Some made it, most don't. Like poker you can't beat statistics. I have worked part time as an addiction counselor the past 10 years. I shouldn'y say worked as I have gotten no pay. My reward is the constant reminder that but for the grace of God there go I.

The drug itself isn't the problem Al. That is the symptom. Whats the problem? Complex question. Could be many things. Common is a sense of being unique of never fitting in. The inability to cope with life on a day to day basis. Of not being able to let go and wanting to control everyone and everything and failing miserably at it.

Well enough of that. Don't want to turn this into an NA meeting. Funny Al how you can tell someone they should educate themselves before they spout off yet you have blown long and hard on an issue you are totally ignorant of. Perhaps you should take your own advice.