Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2005, 10:28 AM

Default Dan Harrington\'s AK wsop hand

I just got around to reading Dan Harrington's book (which is excellent). He kicks off his book with a sample hand from the wsop when Moneymaker won. The hand was when he held AK off. I just cant seem to agree with his reasoning to call rather than reraise preflop. I just wanted to know what others think.

The hand went as follows for those that didnt see it on tv or read it in his book. Playing seven handed at the final table with blinds at 10K/20K, Sam Farha raises 3xBB ($60,000) with 99 utg. Two folds to Dan Harrington in the cutoff with AK off. Harrington called as did moneymaker on the button with T9 off, and so did Amir Vahedi in the big blind with T8 off. The flop came 9 6 4 rainbow. Farha won a decent pot when Moneymaker and Vahedi both called his 80K bet on the flop and Vahedi tried to bluff the turn by leading out on a 6 for 300K.

The only part of the hand that I wanted to discuss was Harrington calling with AK instead or raising. Harrington said he called due to the fact 1.)He had position and didnt need to play the hand as strongly before the flop due to it 2.)He wanted to reduce the volatility (money swing) on the hand.

He then went on to "brag" in some senses about how his call saved him a lot of chips. Saying how if he raised to 150K preflop and made a move on the flop (heads-up with Farha after Moneymaker and Vahedi both fold preflop) that he would have lost an extra 250K making a move for the pot and running into Farha coming over the top with his trip nines. Instead he points out that he only lost 60K in chips.

I think Harrington is simply using the results to back up his preflop call. From my point of view it would be a must raise preflop to approximately 150K for several reasons. The fact that Farha is loose means it is more likely he holds two lower cards instead of a pocket pair. If I was Harrington I would be anxious to get more money in there as a 2-1 favorite if thats the case. But the main reason would be to ensure that I got the hand heads-up.

I have no doubt Harrington would have rethought his stance big time if the flop came something like 8 K T, giving him tptk and Vahedi two pair. Then he simply would have lost a ton of chips due to not ensuring it was heads up. I mean were talking about a loose player raising 3xBB, seven handed, with players behind us, and we have a premium holding of AK. I just cant understand how he's backing up his call as being so correct. What do others think?

Mike Emery