Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Another death penalty question

[ QUOTE ]
-- you offered some exceptions based on your view of what the exceptions should be. Tha tview is based on your world experiences and the emotions of right and wrong and exceesive harm that you feel.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you are attributing reasons to me. My sole reason in the case of serial killers is to protect others from their murdering predations--predations which they will certainly attempt to carry out if given the opportunity. This exception is based solely on the need to protect others from something as about as dangerous as a rabid dog.

[ QUOTE ]
-- Another may offer other exceptions and provide justifications that are long and most likely very reasonable to the person offering the exception.[/quopte]

Meanwhile you apparently cannot refute my chain of reasoning in this specific prototypical case.

[ QUOTE ]
In the case of the death penalty, I prefer to stand on the side of no exceptions so that the slippery slope of exceptions is kept as closed as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine, and there is some merit to that approach. However I prefer, in all areas of life and thought, to peer as deeply as possible and to make exceptions wherever warranted. In other words I think everything should be evaluated on its own merits whenever possible. This is a very broad philosophical stance.