Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-16-2005, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Introduction & a few questions

Welcome to the forum. Seems you are doing good steps to moving up.

[ QUOTE ]
Poster: webgator
Subject: Re: Introduction & a few questions

Well, I figured I'd stop lurking and start posting. I like most people only recently started playing poker, both online and offline. I used to play alot of other card games when I was in the Navy, but since my journey in life has taken me down a different path I no longer have the large group a people to play cards & party with, so I went with online poker.

Anyways, it's been about 5 months of playing and for the most part I consider myself a break even player. I honestly have only deposited an inital deposit of $50 at Party and that is it. I made some money and lost some along the way, but never had to re-deposit. So I have been reading and re-reading (especially this forum), studying and researching and have found my game slowly improving along with my confidence. I am currently almost through WLLH by Lee Jones for the third time and am anxiously awaiting Ed Miller's new book. I also will be purchasing Poker Tracker to review my play and hopefully show my leaks and truly prove to myself I am break even. Due to my work schedule and other responsibilites I usually get in about 12 to 15 hours per week right now playing. I started out play NL but have since started playing Limit which has greatly improved my game, however, I am usually still playing the micro limits .05/.10.

Now for the questions...

1. I have the bankroll to move up but still am gaining confidence in my play. Everything I read says when I am dominating the level I am at then I should move up...how can I tell I am dominating?

[/ QUOTE ]

You feel you can win and you have enough hands in your mind to move up without feeling like you want to stop playing poker if you hit a bad run in a higher limit. I usually liked to stay at least 10k hands at a level before moving up regardless of bankroll.

[ QUOTE ]
2. I want to set some goals, much like a step program. I know one particular goal is to utilize this for a little extra fun money, so therefore winning is important. Any suggestions on what to shoot for?

[/ QUOTE ]

300 BBs at each level:
.5/1
1/2
2/4
3/6
500 BBs at:
5/10
10/20
15/30
then sky is the limit...

[ QUOTE ]
3. Should I be bonus whoring?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe anyone playing under 5/10 should not be bonus chasing.