Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-2005, 02:29 PM

Default General thoughts on Bluffs in SNG ?

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t40 (6 handed) converter

BB (t2125)
Hero (t3260)
MP (t975)
CO :#A500AF(Villain)/ (t2315)
Button (t2975)
SB (t3350)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t140</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO :#A500AF(Villain)/ calls t140, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (t340) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t340</font>, Villain calls t340.

Turn: (t1020) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets t95</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1115

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. Villain wins t1115. </font>

This hand brings is a good example of post flop aggression when the board misses your hand. I guess they call this bluffing [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].

I was UTG so I did not want to show weakness when the flop missed me so I bet. My standard bet is a pot sized bet. Thoughts on this ?? Standard bet too large ?? Probably.

So post flop big bet and he calls, turn gives the board 3 diamonds. I check he bets small and I fold.

Thoughts on post flop ? I had plenty of chips, but I figured I would save my chips for a few more pot sized bluffs rather than on follow up bets to failed bluffs.

I could post some more hands but in general I seem to take the following actions.

If I am in the pot I raise, most of the time. I know this is standard no-limit play and I assume it applies to SNG tourneys also.

Assuming that I raised preflop I frequently take a stab at buying the pot post-flop. Sometimes a player will call me down and I then have a tough decision as to wether or not to continue the bluff after the flop or check to the river. I make this decision based on the texture of the board and any read I have on the player I am up against.

How aggressive are you guys when the flop misses you ?

What standards do you use to decide wether or not to bluff ?

Do you wait for the pot to be declared an orphan or do you buy it even before it is up for adoption ?

Do you only bluff with position or do you take a shot out of position ?

What percentage of your stack will you risk in a bluff ?

Board texture, obviously this comes into play. Seems like bluffs are more obviously a success or failure on boards with an A, three suited, a pair. Meaning you represent a hand and they either belive it or they actually have the hand you are representing.

I know a lot of this seems basic but I guess I am looking to start a general discussion on Bluffing after the flop.

Thanks...

--
tjh