Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Is This a Valid Strategy?

Alright Fellas,

I play at this home game every week. It really for fun and I am the best player by far at the table. It is a table of all calling stations and ULTRA-Passive. It is regular thing that we have family pots. You can barely scare people out of hands, so what I usually do is raise A LOT PF with my good hands in late positions because if people limp they are at about %90 call rate for any raise. They routinely play second or third pair on the flop as if it was the nuts. It really a great game, the only problem is that there is not enough money in play (.1/.2 NL).

So here is my question on viable strategy...Since, there is so much calling at this game and WEAK bets. It seem like it is right to play almost every hand. Is there a benefit to doing a minraise PF with speculative Suited Connectors to bloat the pot because you will possible get to see the turn for free or a very small BB bet?

Example: ( 10 people playing)

9 people see the flop for BB ( pot 9BB )
I get middle pair with 97s, someone min-bets 1BB
5 calls (14BB)

What if I bumped it PF to 2BB in late position got 8 calls (Pot = 18BB) then I can basically play up to 2BB+ bet on pure pot odds for the turn card and the implied odds are through the roof.

Is this a viable strategy to minraise PF with speculative hands because you KNOW that you are going to get a lot of calls and very little action on the flop?

-Gryph