Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2005, 02:42 AM

Default PP 15/30- 200+BB downswing

I have just experienced my first major downswing 8-tabling the party 15/30. While I am clearly not thrilled with the financial result of this swing, I think that it is having a very positive effect on my outlook on my future in poker.

- I've reviewed a bunch of my hands, and have been very happy with the trends in the problem areas that I've been working on. I have been making difficult but correct folds in medium/large pots where the ~20-1 odds really dont justify a call with my hands. Most importantly, I've started folding my ace-highs to checkraises on the turn. With a LAG background in shorthanded play, I have been throwing so much money away in these situations. Combined with some successful and unsuccessful threebets/calldowns, I think this will have a huge longterm effect on my game.

- I've been waiting for my first million hands for the year before I am going to use winrate information to predict my future success. This downswing makes me happy about this decision, because I honestly want the most accurate results possible, and I would be hugely disappointed if I deluded myself.

- In short, I've started to feel like I've won when I check my set through on the river and my opponent flips up the j2s flush.