Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2003, 12:58 AM

Default Playing A,K from early position with no respect!

I'm sure this has been debated before, but I've been forced to think about it quite a bit lately, so I'd like people's general philosophy. I'm very interested in how others play A,K UTG or UTG +1 when you don't hit the flop. I've had this hand beaten quite a bit lately and I'm wondering if I should change gears a bit. I usually play in a 15-30 or 9-18 game in Northern California.

Example: I'm UTG +1 with A,K and it's folded to me. I raise and get two callers from medium/late position as well as the BB. We see it 4-handed and the flop comes 2,5,9 rainbow. The BB checks, I bet, and only one late position player calls. It's now Heads Up and the Turn comes with a 10 of the fourth suit. The board is now 2,5,9,10. I bet and get called. The River comes with a 7, and reads 2,5,9,10,7. I bet and get called. I turn over my A,K and am beaten by pocket 8's.

In the somewhat loose 15-30 game I play, A,X will call one bet, and often will either pair his kicker for top hand or wind up with two pair if the A comes on the end. But medium pairs will also call to see if they can make a Set. I raise to try and weed out these hands. A bet on the Flop is obviously mandatory. But A lot of the players I play against will not raise with their medium pairs. If you have them beaten with an overpair they will pay you off, but they will see the River. So, what are your thoughts on River play? I think my odds of hitting either an A or K on the Turn and River are about 1 in 4. If I don't hit a pair by the River, what do you think about checking or check-calling here? It seems counter-intuitive to check here. You want to represent a Set or an overpair and have them fold. But if the read I have on the players is correct, and I think it is, then I'm probably going to save a bet by just showing the hand down.

Thanks all!