Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-16-2003, 04:11 AM

Default Dealing with being a loser

This should probably be on the psych forum, but I particularly wanted to hear from the people that mainly post here. Anyway, as I was driving home today from my 10th consecutive loss in a row, I was thinking back on my recent mis-fortune or misplay whatever fits, and I've had some pretty big losing nights, regularly losing whatever I had in my pockets, which is usually quite a bit. I was thinking about the fact that I simply can not take a loss. I'm to the point where I definitely know how to win, but do not know how to lose. I don't know if it's just the fact that I'm a very competitive person, but I just can't stand losing at anything that I do, and that really poses a problem when I'm stuck a couple of racks and refuse to accept it, instead I dig a bigger hole for myself to get out of. I know looking into the future that I will have losing nights, but when one of those nights come up, I tend to lose in one night what I've played my ass off for a week, b/c I can't just take the loss. My question to all of you expert minds and logical thinkers is what do you do to prevent the problem that I have? Do you guys have a loss limit? Do you only bring a certain amount of money to the cardroom to safeguard yourself? Or do some of you share my problem and refuse to lose until it's all gone? I'd really like to hear what others have to say about this. In the meantime, I'll be taking another break from the cardrooms, and getting ready for spring training b/c poker does not seem to be serving my best interest right now or my bank account's best interest anyway. Thanks for all responses.

-D.J.