Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Hong Kong Report

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ive been thinking about taking a trip out to hong kong in a year or 2 probably, but what concerns me is that i get the impression that nobody speaks english and therefore there is nothing to do and noone to talk to. arent you just some random outcast walking down the street with everyone staring at you?

[/ QUOTE ]

No way dude, plenty of Brits and other Europeans around Hong Kong. At least there were when I was there.

Even if they all left, there's a TON of stuff to do in HK. Go, you'll love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been to HK post handover, and while a lot of the ex-pats left, communication was not a problem. If you stay in one of the better hotels the staff will speak English (I highly recommend the Grand Hyatt). The street signs & subway are bilingual. Lan Kwai Fong and D'Aguilar streets are the main nightlife areas in Central and a good place to meet more sophisticated locals (likely English speakers) as well as ex-pats.

A trip to Lantau Island to see the giant Buddha is worthwhile. The Temple Street night market is a lot of fun. As Andy mentioned, seeing the peak (both day and night) and riding the Star Ferry is a must. Hmmm, I've got to get back...