Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Beginner Tournament Hand: Did I do the right thing? Why?

Right then, so this is my first post. I'm a college freshman who's new to the game (started playing with my hall last September). I've played/read/re-read a lot since then, but I'm still very much a beginner (which is why I'm posting in this forum, redirect me if I belong somewhere else, Home Poker, perhaps).

Three weeks ago, some guys from another floor put together a building-wide tournament series. It's fairly informal: 20-25 people, $2 buy-in (blinds start .05, .10) with top 3 splitting the nightly pool and top 10 or so accumulating points for the overall pool. Generally the players are just as (typically more) inexperienced as me. There are a lot of reckless players and nothing ever seems worth posting (there are tighter players, but they're extremely passive and, again, not too interesting). Still, I try to focus and learn something (I really want to work on improving, not just playing). Maybe 4 or 5 of the other players are like this. Unfortunately, most players are intense and criticize other's play regardless of their own skill.

Tonight was the third game, and some new, older players began showing up. Last week I ended heads-up against an upper-classman ("Bully #1")(pretty aggressive, pretty loose, but still more thoughtful than the majority). Tonight one of his friends ("Bully #2") showed up--also looser/more aggressive, but still seemed to consider his hands more than most. In any case, here's the hand I found myself in against him. I don't think it's too sophisticated, but I just wanted to try posting my play and my logic and see what your reactions are.

7 players, very early on (even stacks all around, first 10 hands). I'm second to act, but wait a second as most everyone checks out their cards when they get them. Bully #1 (above)(2 to my left) seems legitimately uninterested and Bully #2 (3 to my left, on the button) checks his cards, glances at his chips and than stares across the table). The guy on my right folds. I'm not inclined to enter being so early, but I see

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

and call. Girl on my left folds, Bully #1 folds, Bully #2 raises 0.20, maniac on his left calls("Crazy"), guy on his left folds and I call. (pot is 1.00) Flop is

A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Crazy checks, I bet 0.20, Bully #2 raises to 0.40, Crazy folds and I call. (Pot is 1.80) Turn is

A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, Bully #2 bets 0.40. I'm pretty sure he just thinks I'm weak, but I don't rule out his being on A7 or even A2. Earlier I watched him overplay (IMO) A10o, so I don't respect his starting requirements. I call. (Pot is 2.60) River is

6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, he goes all in (around 0.80), I call all-in (around 0.60).

I think the loose/aggressive evaluation is fair(he's been betting/raising on almost every hand), so would a fold here be bad? If he's managed to show-down some weaker hands,(or bet, be re-raised and fold) do I just have to pay him off (go out) if he's managed to hit a full house or trips with a better kicker? Sorry to be so long here, just wanted to give a good feel for where I'm at/what the situation is. If this isn't really a worthwhile hand to discuss, what kinds of hands would be (this just happens to be one where I'm not sure if I made the right move). Thanks for your thoughts,

Blue