Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2003, 09:45 AM

Default Question about a play I made

The other night I made a play that I kind of walked away questioning. (I probably walked away questioning it because it was the last one after a 7 hour session).

I was dealt A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] . I was last to act. A good player who was tight aggresive was first after the blind and raised, 2 players called, then another good player who I noticed to be loose preflop but tight after raised, 2 players folded and I called. Players in the blinds folded and first raiser called as did the two behind him.

The flop came 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] K [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

First TA player raised, 2 players folded, the next TA player reraised. I called

Turn came 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

First TA player bet, next TA player raised, I called, first TA player called

River came 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

First TA player checked, 2nd TA player bet, I folded, first TA player called.

2nd TA player had a pair of aces, first TA player had K A, I don't remember the suits.

My thinking.

Preflop; with all of the action in front of me I figured that the first raiser had a high pair and the 2nd one was either trying to counterfeit or had a high connector like KQ or AK. In looking back I probably should have folded with all of that action in front of me especially coming from the players that were there and the positions they were in. If the guy with the high pair catches even if I catch two of my cards I would have been behind.
The 2nd guy would bluff so I think I got caught up in thinking he was trying to get players out with his reraise so if dregs came he may have an advantage.

Flop; Once I saw the flop I was one card away from a straight. The pot was getting big so I figured I was getting the odds to stay and try and catch.

Turn; Basically a blank. With more money in I figured my odds were still right to try and catch.

River; didn't catch and got out.

Was the mistake I made staying at all or was it a good bet? Was I right in staying to catch one card. My quick math made me think I had the right odds to chase 10-1. If I catch neither of them would have beat me and I would have taken down a pot that was in the neighborhood of 100.(1-4-8-8 betting structure).

Was I gambling here or was I playing the odds like I thought I was? (You know what they say about a little bit of knowledge......I am about half way through theory of poker and was thinking..odds odds odds..... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] )