Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2005, 01:18 AM

Default Re: Religion-Psychology?

"Are we really going to believe that he's a 220:1 dog to have aces? Of course not, now we think he's maybe only a 2:1 dog to have aces.

The same principle can be applied to faith. Without enough information, the odds of God existing are incalculable. But what if time and time again, a person prays to God and sees their prayers answered in such ludicrous ways that it would be ridiculous to think that God was not directly affecting things?"

Everything above is exactly correct. Here is the problem. Firstly if the next person you met claimed to be the daughter of God what odds could you lay she was mistaken? Maybe we can agree on a trillion to one. If she then goes on to do things that only the best magicians can do and also produces 1000 witnessesses who tell you she did things that no magican can do, how would you alter your initial trillion to one? I suspect you would agree that the evidence, compelling as it is, still makes her a million to one or so underdog. Baye's theorum.
On the other hand if you prayed to her to have the ability to run a three minute mile and to be able to close your eyes and wake up on the moon, a double success would make her a giant favarite to be who she said she was. But I know the ludicrous ways you say your prayers were answered did not resemble such things. If they did (or if even if you were delusional and you just THOUGHT they did) you would be illogical if you DIDN'T believe in a Christian type God. I have already written that if someone demonstrated to me even one undeniable true miracle (PS Perfect mental telepathy wouldn't count. Precognition would. See why?) I would believe as well.