Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2003, 05:38 AM

Default AQ suited UTG

Playing in a loose, moderately aggressive, and did I say loose canterbury park 6-12 game. 4-6 players are seeing most flops, and the player to my left, and I are being blinded off, and hardly playing anything. I didn't even get 84 off, so I couldn't raise preflop.

I have AQ of diamonds UTG, and limp, planning on reraising, especially if it is raised in late position.

3 limpers, the SB raises, the BB calls, and I reraise, all call the two bets to the SB, who makes it four bets, and everyone calls.

The first question here, is should I cap it at five bets, or do we have enough in the pot now. Nearly every draw that exists, is going to have the proper odds to chase, so should I just charge the loose guys the max, even though I might be in second place right now, or is it OK to call the reraise?

Flop

Q [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] .

SB bets out, BB, calls, and with top pair, and a backdoor flush, I have plenty to call even though I might be behind.

I raise, to see if I can eliminate anyone, and all the limpers fold, at least one of them making comments about the foolishness of being in a pot when I go to war. The SB thinks, and after a sizeable pause, folds, and the BB calls.
Do you like the raise here? I am not sure what my plan should be on the turn.

Turn

Q [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] Check, bet, call.

River, 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] . Check, bet, call.

I show my hand and it is good, but the SB looks sick.

I later confirmed with him that he had KK, and thought that I had either QQ, or AA, leaving him to draw to a two outer. The thing that he missed, is that with 28 small bets in the pot at the time, he had the odds to draw to a two outer. The turn card put me in the lead, so he would have lost a little more money, but he didn't play good poker on this hand.

With the huge pot preflop, drawing to a 2 or three outer would be right on the flop, and not a monstrous mistake on the turn.

The other thing that I was thinking about, is that I might have had to hit my hand again to win, and if I call that flop bet, I might win a little more on this hand, but on the other hand, my raise gave the SB the chance to make the mistake of folding, which put me in the lead and I might have won the hand without further improvement.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.