Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Chasing the low (or backdoor high)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB folds, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero ?

I believe Tenner/Krieger recommend against chasing the low unless there is a good degree of backdoor potential on your hand, but this situation really has me wondering. Under what conditions will chasing be correct? Pot size? # of players in? etc.

In the above hand I chose to call for a few reasons.

MP2 was almost broke ($2.5 left after the bet on the flop).
MP2 is very loose and will play a wide range of hands (PTO VPIP was 66% in 18 hands).

Rainbow flop.

My hand has a 3 way high backdoor draw plus my backdoor low, so I stand to improve on almost any non-pairing card, although I'll still need to draw to something by the river to get any piece of this pot.

CO (who was actually a 2+2'er) and SB were of some concern, but I figured if they called MP2 would lead the turn and go all-in and whoever was left would likely just call, so I would get to see the river cheaply.

I'll continue the hand later, but this really has me wondering. I'm sure this might be a leak in my game if I take this too far.

Of course I do not always chase a hand like this, but I may "take one off" more often than I should. I'm looking back at my decision here and seeing that the conditions appeared to be ideal, but I'm wondering if this is just building a bad habbit.

Thoughts?