Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2005, 07:01 PM

Default I have found a leak

This will be a bit embarrassing to admit: I take a stand in small pots and play passively in big ones. Sounds like I need to read SSH a few more times, right?

In small pots with few opponents I play pretty LAG. I try to push people off the pot with anything from nothing to bottom pair, lone overcard, weak draws etc. When I get callers, I usually don't get away if I think I'm beat. Instead I tend to go down to the river - I'm basically investing big to win small.

In big pots with many opponents it's the opposite: Even with very strong holdings I play passively and fail to inflate the pot (in case my hand holds up or my big draw hits) and push gutshots and underpair away.

I think this is some elementary psychological things going on in my head: A) Few opponents are easier to beat than many. B) Big pots look scary. Some people have some kind of silly respect for big piles of money - I know I have. It's probably because a big pot illustrates how much I have invested. In a small pot is not as obvious that I'm throwing in BB after BB.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? What did you do about it?

(Just for the record. Despite this leak, I'm doing pretty good overall, around 2BB/100.)

/twang