Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2003, 06:31 AM

Default low limit hold\'em

I have a question that has been asked before, but I will ask it again because what I hear and what I see don’t mesh. The question is this: Are low-limit Hold’em games beat-able? I am going answer my own question and say no so I can pose another: What level can a solid, tight aggressive style win consistently at hold’em.
I have been playing seriously (almost daily) for 1 year. 99% of this play has been online and playing at the .50/1.00 – 1 /2 and some 2/4 limits. I have also played hundreds of low buy-in tourneys as well as about 10 live tourneys. I planned on 1 year to learn the basics a the micro-limits, have read many books and read 2+2 and other forums daily and now would like to go up in limits but what I see is not encouraging. I would like to start with 2/4 but it seems to be a battle with the rake and players that just want action and will play any cards. I was watching a 2/4 game a Party last night and 90% of the winning hands I noted at showdown were cards that I don’t play unless I’m in the blinds with no raise. Cards like Jxo 33, A3o, 10-5s, Kxo, Qxo, 95o and the list goes on. Those that played these cards would go from like $50.00 up to $150.00 and back down and back up they just play for action. There was a player I observed that folded most of his cards waiting for decent starters but when he played them one of the other 4 or 5 players with trash hands would stay till they hit on the river. I know this has all been said before, but when I read about people depositing 50.00 and turning it into a 4 figure bankroll I wonder if it is true or just a ploy to get more fish to deposit 50.00 to lose at the low limits? Sorry to say that and I am not directing this statement to anyone in particular. I am down about 200.00 for the year which I’m not complaining about, since poker is a very inexpensive hobby for me at this rate. But I say again, is it really possible to win at 2/4 consistently online or off ?