Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2005, 03:55 PM

Default $80M Game?!?

Haven't seen this one discussed yet...

---

Beal and Brunson close to an $80 million poker game
By Barry Shulman, Card Player Chairman - 2005-03-25

Last fall I was at the center of, and tried to help facilitate, the biggest poker game in the world between Andy Beal, a wealthy Dallas amateur and a group of the best pros ever assembled, including Doyle Brunson.

For six weeks we went back and forth because both sides were hoping to skew things in their favor. All parties were disappointed that it just couldn't seem to come together.

Beal just phoned me and said he is ready to play on their terms. We are talking a match here where both sides put up $40,000,000 and play until one goes broke.

Full details will be available next week in Card Player and at CardPlayer.com.

---

I can't wait to see what the pros' "terms" are. Why doesn't Beal simply write a check for $20M to charity, give the pros $15M, and rathole the last $5M for when he goes broke?

Seriously though, I understand the gambling mentality, but he doesn't even have the remotest chance of success here, so why do it? Is there some angle I am missing that makes this an even-money or better deal for the guy? (Book deal, movie or something?).