Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2005, 06:15 PM

Default What would you do? A little hypothetical...

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster...

without exhaustive detail to the background of the situation, it would appear that my family is preparing to sell our company, from which we will likely net a good amount (my estimate is somewhere bet. 15-20Mil. dollars).

I'm about to graduate from college, and while selling the company means I dont' get the job I was planning on getting, it does mean that I would become my dad's chief advisor on what to do with the money from the sale of the business (fair enough, financial pros would likely be consulted, but he respects the way I approach things and we often work things like this out together). so now for my hypothetical....

what would you do (investment-wise) with that amount of money? as for some conditions, let's say that the money can all be used for investing (life-expenditures will be taken care of), and that no one here is delusionally craving turning 20 million into billions. what are some options on how to invest this money, to continue to make money, and to insure a comfortable (read: college and reasonable leisure) for my family in the years to come?

I'd love to know what you all think.

thanks

Tolga

PS. good books to learn about general investing?