Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-24-2005, 05:33 PM

Default suited connectors (beginner question)

I, like most beginning players, love suited connectors.

But, I've been thinking about them a lot lately. One of the biggest mistakes beginners make is calling with improper odds, especially on flush draws. If you play any stakes up to .10/.25, and you flop top pair and bet the pot, you WILL get called by anybody with a flush draw. Now, they are roughly getting the odds to call, IF they see the river for free, but of course, we're not going to let that happen, so you make them call two bets they shouldn't and you profit.

Now let's put ourselves on the other side. We limp in with T9s and flop a flush draw, no pair, no straight draw. Our opponent bets the pot. Now, we're a smart player, right? So, we either fold or reraise. Now, at the aforementioned low limits, your reraise is going to get called about 90% of the time. Top pair is a legitimate hand to call a reraise with for these guys, even if you triple their raise or raise it the size of the pot. So, you can't semi-bluff him into folding. I guess you could call without proper pot odds, hoping your implied odds will make it work out for you, but when the turn or the river makes a 3-flush on the board, most anybody is going to slow down a lot, so I submit that your implied odds really aren't much better than the pure pot odds. If you're on the OESD, that's much better, as it's not obvious to your opponent that you have the nuts. You might be able to get some money out of him after you make your hand. But with your flush, they pretty much know.

So, is the proper play to fold?

And if it is, you know, you so rarely flop a flush, why are we even playing these crappy suited connectors?

Please educate me.