Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-24-2005, 01:40 AM

Default A tough AJo hand...how would you play it better?

Looking to see if anyone could play this better.

Greektown 5/5/10, I have about 2000 behind, Villain is tight, not-especially tricky, aggressive and smart he has me covered by a little. If I had to guess, I would say he is the most winning player at greektown for the NL games. He plays everyday, I think he's retired and this is what he does. I never gave him much credit up until about 2 weeks ago, but recently I've developed respect and caution for him. He is a phenomenal hand reader.

Folded to me in middle, I limp in with AJo, a limp or two, and he completes in the SB.

Flop (~$50-70) A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He comes out firing for $100, I'm the only caller.

Turn 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He checks, I bet 100, he calls.

River 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He asks me how much I have left, I tell him, he bets 400. I get my money out to call, think for a long time, he says come on kid it's just money. I debate for a few more minutes and call.

Some of my thoughts to get the ball rolling: When he leads out into the whole field for a big overbet I give him credit for two pair or a very strong Ace, for some reason I didn't think this was a set, but more something like AK/AQo, AJ, J8, or A8. His turn check sort of through me off, and I think I gave him credit for AK/AQ so I only bet small to keep him in. When he leads the river for the near pot I am baffled, but still only 20- 40% that this is J8/A8, I feel like he would have check-raised me on the turn with these holdings. I don't know. I was really 50/50 on whether or not I was beat, so I opted for the call. I think it was because I had difficulty putting him on a hand that it led me to call...totally wrong reasoning? Thoughts?