Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Am I the only one here who.....

Obviously another thread is the impetus for this one, but I'm getting the impression that there are a significant number of people who have two "different" aspects of poker lumped into one catagory. "making money" and "learning". Most of my posts just turn into a bunch of babble and prolly degrade into little sesnse, so I'll try and do a good job of explaining what I mean [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Alot of it I guess could be perspective, I play poker as my sole source of income, so I have a different agenda than somone who doesn't. For example, I'll sit down and 4 table, with PV loaded and im basically an auto pilot, I may even have the TV or my stereo on or im chatting on AIM, and I do these things to overcome the burnout or boredom that playing a long session causes. I do this because I HAVE to put in the hours, because I have to eat and buy fancy crap I don't need. I'm still taking notes, and thinking about certain decisions, so I'm still learning, but obviously not as well as I could be.

Since this approach does little for my advancement as a poker player, I ruitinely take an hour out of my day, at some point far seperated in time wise from my "grinding" session and just play 2 tables and work of playing good poker. I'm not concered about winning or loseing, just making good reads and how im evaluating my decisions

So I guess my original question, am I the only one who seperates the two? Am I somehow misguided in this approach? Is finding a better balance between learning and earning and incorporating that into every session I play, a better plan of attack?? I don't think so, but I'm not unable to be convinced otherwise.

Anyone have any thoughts?