Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Starting hand stereotypes

Hello!
I looking into make up a table for "reveres starting hands", a chart that can used then you have make fast decisions only considering a players VPIP and PRF which often is the case then you play multiple tables (using PW or GT). I know hold'em is a very complex game and all players have different styles and so on. Another thing is that players adapt after the table/players as well but at the smaller limits there are a large numbers of players not taking in this to considerations. This is example how you could use the chart:

Example 1:
Player x is limping UTG
Player x total VPIP = 30%
That means that he limp with 18% of those hands UTG and 18% of the best hands would be Sklanskys starting hands 1-3

Example 2:
Player y is rising on the button
Player y total VPIP =25% and PRF 5%
PRF 5% means that he raising 7% on the button that would be Sklansky's starting hands 1
(The stats in those two examples are not relevant)

To make up the chart I need stats on the average position stats adjustment for both limping and rising, people at higher limits are probably a bit more aware of position value so this would be another thing to take into consideration. However I like to hear what you think a about this idea, maybe it would not be a chart that you look at in every single hand but it might be fun or even useful to look at ones in a wile?

It would also be great if any one could give me some toughs at what's:
*A good way of calculating the position adjustment. (Position VPIP / Total VPIP maybe?)
*How the position adjustment will be different for players with low vs high VPIP. (Maybe it would be more or less the same)
*A good group of hand blocks for both raising and limping (was think of use Sklansky's starting hands and maybe also blocks with any pair, suited connector etc.)
* Would such a chart be more usefully in 6max vs. Full ring, Limit vs. NL

Any comments are welcome!