Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Can \"non-players\" be greatteachers?

[ QUOTE ]
We see it other sports: the great football coach who didn't have the talent to make it; the great golf coach who could not play anywhere near the level of those who seek his guidance, etc. We have also seen the flipside - the superstar with tons of talent and instinct and couldn't teach a sole anything if his life depended on it...

I was wondering if anyone knows of personal or other examples of the same thing in poker -the great non-playing teacher. Someone who can analyze play at the highest level, and indentify gaps and recommend fixes, but for one reason or another are not succesful players themselves.

Maybe it is anxiety, or maybe they can't perform under pressure, maybe they don't have the "gamble" in them, or it could be a host of things.

I'm just wondering if anyone has run into such a person.
Are there valuable human resources out there that are not being tapped into because they are not top level players?

Thoughts??

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me add some further context to my original question. Before considering the outright "no" as an answer, here is what I was thinking.

Hypothetically, you have player "A" that know 75% of everything there is to know about holdem (don't beat me up on this 75% part, I'm just trying to build a context for the question). Then you have player "B" who knows 95% of everything there is to know about holdem.

The problem is that Player A is a better "player" than player B, and player B admittedly struggles with the fact that he can't seem to apply his knowledge in the heat of the game or under pressure , or whatever. Player B has resigned himself to being a humble (but expert) non-playing student of the game. Also, many players seek his guidance on complex technical aspects of the game.

I guess I'm not sure why the above could not, and does not, exist. Could player A not gain value from a mentor, even though the mentor does not play?