Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2005, 07:54 PM

Default How do you change your opening requirements for limpers?

Following the gap concept, we know that we need 'x' type of hand to open raise from the CO, for example. We also know that we need a better hand to reraise an opener from MP2. We know we need an even better hand to reraise an opener from UTG. But what of limpers?

Clearly, the gap concept must apply in some way to limpers, since we know that they will call our raises with regularity. And we must account for other players who open raise with limpers when putting them on a range of hands.

Example 1

You're on the button with a random very good starting hand. UTG 2 limps. MP 2 limps. MP3 raises to 4BB.

Example 2

You're on the button with a random very good starting hand. All fold to MP3 who open raises for 3BB.

Obviously, we must give more credit to the player in example 1 for a strong hand, because he raised after there were limpers, and less credit to the player in example 2. This difference may be the difference between raising, calling, or folding. So, how much credit.

Example 3

You're on the button with 77 early in a SNG. Four limpers to you.

Example 4

You're on the button with 77 early in a SNG. All fold to you.

In the above examples, most would clearly limp example 3, and raise example 4. But what if we change it up a little?

Example 5

You have 77 on the button. All fold except for MP1 who limps.

In example 5, should we really be afraid of one limper? Shouldn't we raise now, with position and a solid hand? Why give a player who has shown zero strength a free flop?

So, many would raise in example 5.

But how do we quantify it?

I've been thinking about this, and would like your comment on some guidelines I've been considering. All of my play is based on guidelines (and so should yours), only to adjust when we have good reads on the players in the hand. All good players do this (IMO) whether they are concious of it or not. I like to be concious of it, because my game is largely theory/range of hands/preflop based. So, here are my guidelines:

If there is only one limper in the pot, tighten up your opening requirements only slightly. Open with what you normally would one position to your right.

Example--You are on the button facing one limper. Use the opening requirements you normally have for the CO position.

If there are multiple limpers, use your opening requirements for the position one to the left of the earliest limper.

Example--Three limpers, one UTG, one MP, and one CO. Use your opening requirements from the MP1 & MP2 seats (for me, these are the same).

Please comment on these ideas and add your own.

Thanks.