Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-2005, 12:24 AM

Default Trying to Follow SSHE But Terrible Results for the Day

I think SSHE is the best poker book available, but I've run into a snag today. Clearing a bonus on a site, I'm playing $1/2 for the 1st time, instead of my usual $.5 - $1. In first 700 hands was up almost $170 + $30 bonus for a gain of $200. Yet in the 400 hands today am down about $120 while still playing. 92% of the losses came on these listed hands:
AA - 1 for 2: KK - 1 for 3: QQ - 0 for 8: AKs - 0 for 2: AK - 1 for 10: Draws 2-1 or better odds - 0 for 12

So the question is am I being outplayed at the higher level, have picked bad tables today, or neither of the above and the luck factor went against me for 9 straight hours? OOPS - Just missed open-ended str8 Draw with backdoor flush number 13!

I obviously think I should be playing these hands and so does the book. But the fact that they account for so much of the losses concerns me. To be fair, at least 1/2 of these losses came on the river. The set of Queens beaten by flush on river can't be helped. The A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] that got a flop of A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and turn of K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] so the single player who called my pre-flop raise could show his 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]-7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the Royal Flush aren't the hands I'm worried about. SSHE says to be aggressive when the odds warrant it and don't make the catastrophic error of folding when you have large pots and a chance. But I had 9 consecutive losses w/ AK and 8 consecutive losses with QQ. 12 times I've folded on the river to bets from other players as a monster draw missed! (Pause - okay, just lost again when I raised with AK, got 3 callers, had to get out to turn bet when board went 4-2-7-T-6. Fast forward 6 hands - QQ is now 0 for 9 as a player hits his K on the river.)

I'm new at this crap, so feedback is welcome.