Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2005, 03:06 PM

Default A question: The fundamentals of backing

Greetings,

I recently accepted backing from a member of this forum, and an odd situation has presented itself now, and i'd like to turn the issue over to the members of this forum for some feedback and a possible resolution:

Unless he wishes to make himself known in this thread, I will leave the backers identity anonymous:

I was to play SNG's with the backing and chop the winnings 50/50 for the length of the arrangement. I could stop the arrangment whenever i liked by returning the roll i had been provided. Other than a couple of small other detials not pertaining to the issue at hand, that was the extent of our verbal and written (emails) agreement.

Well to make a long story short, from the moment i began playing on the roll, i caught cards from hell. Every big pair lost to one over card, all KK vs. 77's went down in flames etc. The money was gone within 72 hours.

I sent an email to the backer sniveling about by beats and apologizing for losing all his money. He made a very simple reply: "thats poker"

I took a week of and gathered myself and am now back in action, placing in over 50% of tourneys since my comeback, on my own bankroll.

I never heard from the backer again, until this morning:

He checked me out on Poker Prophecy and sees that i'm winning nicely again and wants his cut. He says he is entitled to half my winnings and his original backing.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa!

[img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

You want what? [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] He says that he is entitled to this, as his backing was 'eternal' and that i am not out of this deal unless i repay the stake or 'die forever'.

hmmmmmmmm

any thoughts, suggestions? Am i a bone head to think that when i dropped his roll and came back on my own i was ON MY OWN?

WD