Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-2002, 09:33 PM

Default Ready for higher stakes?

I've been playing low limit Hold'em ($3-6, $4-8) for several years. I only get to play about once a month though. When I do play, I play for 10+ hours at a time and usually end up only slightly ahead or break even. I'm wondering if my style of play is better suited for higher stakes games ($10-20, etc).

I'm a tight/aggressive player. I've read (and reread) several books on Hold'em strategy and try to adhere to their principles (David Skalansky, Lee Jones, etc.) Most of the tables I play have 7-9 players seeing the flop each hand, while I only call to see about 20% of the flops. It's frustrating to play against people who call to see the flop with any two cards, and usually stay to the river with any draw. It seems that my top pair or trips constantly gets beaten by someone who turns over a 8-5 off-suit for the backdoor straight, even though I've been betting/raising to try to get them out.

I know that type of play is not profitable for any one person, but I'm not playing against one person. I'm playing against nine players who are all going for the big draw. My one opponent (the other nine players) has dozens of outs each hand.

Is it possible that I would do better at higher stakes games, or do I need to be able to adjust my play and dominate lower limits first before graduating up to the higher limit games?