Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about sunglasses at B&M games less than 6/12?
They can be helpful. 24 12.97%
They are irrelevant, as no one can pick up tells anyway. 32 17.30%
Anyone who wears them at these limits is clearly a fool. 129 69.73%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-07-2005, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Conservatives are born rich!

A couple of ideas, these are just kind of free flowing posts (and btw, I like the level of civilized discourse going on in this thread, its nice when we're not just all yelling at each other [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

[ QUOTE ]
It also doesn't sound like this woman has made the best decisions in her life. If she's working in a warehouse for near minimum wage, it sounds like she hasn't gone to college. She also has two kids, which it doesn't like she can support very well, especially if she's raising them by herself. That could mean that she got pregnant before she was ready and in a lasting relationship (I'm speculating here but this could apply to a lot of people as well). All represent decisions made in her life that have affected her, and are not the fault of anyone else. That may sound harsh, but I'm a pretty firm believer in taking responsiblity for one's actions.

[/ QUOTE ]

This probably the point I disagree with most, and I think illustrates the ideas that I was thinking about making this post.

I know that because someone is born into a lower class family, they are more likely to have this outcome, and I don't find it particularly fair. It is quite difficult for individuals to break out of this vicious cycle. Who is to blame? I'm not really sure.

Also, it seems like you feel that every individual is given the same level of intelligence. Sadly enough, this is not the case. There are people who are just not very bright that exist in this world. They are at a distinct disadvantage I believe. (It seems cynical and mean to write this statement, but i believe it to be true. I think if you have ever tried to teach a "slower" class in a public school, you will find a huge difference between a slow class and a normal one).

And, another example, and probably the most difficult type of case for me to figure my opinion on:

My best friend from high school is a failure. It saddens me and pains me to say so, but he is. He will live his entire life (barring a miracle) at or around the poverty line. It also entirely his fault as he is an extremely charasmatic person with avg (or slightly below avg) intelligence and a GED.

Why do I feel bad for his situation? Because I know J and I know his life. I know that he never had a Dad and that his one step dad beat the piss out of him for 3 years before he left. I know that his mom introduced him to drug use in the 6th grade. I know that he has been an alcoholic since 11th grade. I know that he has bounced around with an unemployed mom and no positive role models, aside from friend's parents, for his entire life. I know that he was never told to get good grades, or to work hard, or to dream about succeeding, or that he has a chance to make something for himself. I also know that he is lazy and can't keep a job. I know that he is [censored] up. I also know him as a great person and one of my best friends. It saddens me as I see less and less of him as I move up the social ladder and he still makes minimum wage at 23.

I don't know what to think about him to be honest, is he personally accountable, yes, of course, he has had options, and many of them. But also do I understand why hes as [censored] up as he is? Of course. I know that I don't want to see J dead or begging in 10 years.

Not sure where this is really going, but this is the kinda stuff that I think about when these issues are addressed.