Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2005, 09:42 AM

Default The temptation was great! Low content

Hiya -

I played in our local card room ($1/$2) yesterday that just opened up in January. There are many recreational players and the tables are always good. I played last week and was up 22 BB (would have been more except a bluff attempt that I should not have made, but that was last week...).

The table yesterday was comprised of mostly Loose Passive players with one Tight Passive player.

Cards were not coming my way at all - those that did were cracked (i.e. player who made gutshot straight on the turn crack my QQ for example...didn't say nh then...just mucked my cards and smiled...tried to be nice about it - I was more angry at myself for not paying closer attention; I was happy to get a hand).

Players to my left played anything and won a lot while I saw my buy in dwindle to the felt.

About halfway through the session, thoughts entered my mind such as, "Maybe I should gamble more...take the chance with this 63o...maybe your cards will hit." I resisted...but the urge was definitely there.

Right now, it's difficult to adjust from the speed of online play to the speed of live play. Online, I know that playing marginal to weak hands out of position is an easy click to fold. With my live play however, after people limping in with junk, I truly want to play that junk hand.

I did fold though.

I don't know why I'm writing this, but I figured that some of you who play both the online and live game may have experienced something similar.

PB