Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Re: Someone Enlighten Me

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because it's bullshit.

Wouldn't you be pissed if you wanted to go to a show but it was sold out because half the tickets were bought by scalpers who are now going to sell them to you at twice the price?

[/ QUOTE ]

You fail to understand certain basic facts.

First, scalpers often overestimate the demand for certain tickets. They are then forced to sell their overstock at a price *below* the initial market value. This happens all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I see that at sporting events, but at concerts they are always overpriced. I went to see Phish in concert last summer, it was their third to last show I think. I bout the tickets in advance online for $50 each, and there were people selling them for $300-$500 right outside the concert.

[ QUOTE ]
Second, scalpers increase the profitability of putting on a concert, which increases the supply of concerts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if there are enough people who actually want to see the show.

[ QUOTE ]
Those points aside, the simple fact is that scalpers are engaging in completely voluntary monetary transactions of perfectly legal commodities, and that it is economically inefficient to restrict such transactions in any way whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it's legal, but its crap. Monopolies were legal too at one point, but they were also crap. It's making the consumer pay more for the exact same product they could've gotten for less if the scalpers hadn't of bought them first. It's just a douchey thing to do.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, read this: Bastiat

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm tired now, maybe tomorrow...