Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-2005, 11:56 PM

Default Interpreting SSHE Preflop

In SSHE preflop guidelines, Miller recommends calling a raise with some speculative hands only if a certain number of people have 'already entered the pot'. I could use some clarification. Is the purpose of only calling if 'x' players called the raise just to assure the pot is big enough for me to get the necessary pot odds for seeing the flop?

Example 1: Tight Game Chart / SB - I have a medium pocket pair (77-88) in small blind. He says call a raise if the raiser and 1 caller are 'in the pot'. What if 1 EP player and 2 MP players already limped in for 1 SB bet, then MP3 raises and both LP fold. There are 6.5 SB already in the pot (counting the blinds). Nobody has called the raise yet, but it's very likely that at least 1 of the 4 remaining (3 limpers + the BB) will call the raise. Should i call?

Example 2: Loose Game Chart / LP - I have a small pair (22-66) on the button. He says call if 3 people are 'in the pot' - a raiser and 2 callers. What if 2 EP and 3 MP players limped in and LP1 raised (8.5 SB in the pot). I can reasonably assume there will be 2 more callers. Can I call?

Example 3: Loose Game Chart / LP - I have a weak suited ace (A2-A7) to the right of the button. He says call a raise if at least 3 callers to a raise are in the pot. Say the 3 EP players and MP1, limp in. Then MP2 raises and MP3 calls (9.5 SB in the pot). Again i can assume there will be 2 more callers.