Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2002, 02:51 PM

Default Reasons to Raise

Its toward the end of the hand, the pot is reasonably large, and you are faced with a bet. Let come up with lots of reasons to RAISE I'll start:

[] I'm a big favorite against the bettor and want to build a big pot I expect to win.

[] I've got a big draw and there are already lots of callers.

[] There is plenty enough doubt vis-a-vis the pot size to pay the player off (e.g. "getting right odds to call"), but I want to insure the marginal hand behind me does NOT call.

[] I'm getting the right odds to call and there are a lot of hands better than mine the better will NOT call the raise with (i.e. I bluff). Since I'm going to call anyway, the "bluff-raise" only costs me one more bet, not two.

[] I have a weak pair and a draw and I can knock out the best hand behind me in case the bettor IS betting HIS draw.

[] The pot is huge, my hand has some showdown equity, and I really don't know where I'm at.

[] I'm getting the right odds to call and I may knock players out increasing the chances that hitting my overcards may win.

[] The bettor routinely folds in the face of a raise when he is "obviously" beat.

[] The potential callers routinely fold when faced with a double bet.

[] They are afraid of me (and rightfully so).

[] They'll remember THIS weak raise and are sure to pay off all my future raises.

[] They are sure to react naturally to my raise.

[] I'm going to pay it off anyway and gain a little by raising now (figuring to check later).

- Louie