Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Do you actually play tight/aggressive in SNGs? Am I too passive?

I'm talking about early/middle stages of PartyPoker SNGs. I'm playing mostly the $55's. I was predominantly an MTT player before I started playing mostly SNGs recently. I certainly play tight in the early stages, very tight. However I feel I have become very passive in my postflop play, and also to some extent preflop when the blinds are still low and my hand is not absolutely premium. I do a fair bit of check-calling when I feel I'm ahead. The reason I've fallen into this pattern is that the players at this level are still predominantly very poor and if they've shown they have caught a bit of something you can be fairly certain they're going to call you down if you play aggressively. And since chips are scarce in Party SNGs, I tend to be cautious, preferring to keep pots small even though I'm allowing opponents to outdraw me cheaply, rather than get my chips in early, get outdrawn and be out or crippled.

Anyway, I'm doing fine so far as it is (just over 20% ROI although I've only logged 250 and can see from the huge difference between results of first hundred and second hundred that I have nowhere near enough data to draw any conclusions) but I have noticed that I am without doubt playing more passively than I used to, and wondered what peoples thoughts were on whether this is a good idea in Paryt SNGs, or if it's as bad a habit as it is is ring games and I should stamp it out immediately.

All comments appreciated.