Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Does This Qualify as a \"Push\" Situation?

I was in a 1 table home game tournament last night. We started with 5000 in chips and the blinds started at 50-100 and went up every half hour.

We had been playing close to 2 hours and there were 8 of 10 players left. I had been pretty much card dead the entire time. I had one playable hand outside the blinds, Queens, with which I lost a good pot when an Ace came on the turn. The blinds at this point were 300-600 and I was the big blind. I had 1500 left after I posted. I was the short stack at this time. The next smallest stack was about 3500-4000 and the biggest was about 10,000.

My cards were terrible: 8, 2 offsuit. The player immediately to my left raised to 1500 and was called in 2 spots, so there was 5400 in the pot by the time it got back around to me.

Calling was out of the question. Typically in a raised pot I would fold 8,2 offsuit out of the big blind, but here I was pretty short on chips. If I folded, that would leave me with 1200 (after I posted the small blind of 300 on the next hand) and even if I doubled up then, I'd still likely be the short stack and still in a desperate situation. While 8,2 off really blows, I was likely to have 2 live cards.

Given the above and the money in the pot, would you push here or wait for a better hand sometime in the next round?