Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2005, 08:16 PM

Default First posted hand - fairly deep 1/2 NL hand

Hi all,

Though I've lurked this forum for a few months now, I figured I would gain a lot more if I actually posted and responded to people. I've been playing NLHE for a little over a year and have been fairly successful, now playing 1/2 ring mainly on Pokerstars.

Before I get to the hand in question, some background:
I was already up about 400 before the hand and was going to call it a night. I decided since this table had gone to shorthanded and since I multitable (I had the remainder of the round to play on a couple tables), I was going to post the BB to play another round. However, coming from a bit of badluck earlier in the night, I did not really want to get involved in a large hand where I would be facing a decision with a lot of money involved or from any position of uncertainty. Thus, my main goals when coming into the hand were a) having little to no uncertainty about my read and actions, b) keeping the pot under control by showing proper aggression to hopefully take it down early.

These goals are in themselves subjects of discussion since its arguable they may lead a poker player to lose out on some profit or play in a conservative manner - somewhat like reverse-tilt. Anyway, on to the hand:

Villian is in the SB, I am sitting to his direct left and we've been on the same table for about an hour. I have a good idea of what he's about since he seems to get involved in every hand. As such he's quite loose and aggressive but shouldn't be characterized as a skilled Villian. He seems the type who watched poker on TV and tries to mimick the Hollywood plays they show there. For example, he would min raise A3o utg and play it hard on an AQT flop, losing his entire stack. Or he would call a 5x bb raise with 89o and bet/raise whatever came down.

He's lost a couple buyins prior to this hand by playing in this manner. My encounters with him have never gone past the flop: I countered his min-raising maneuver by coming over the top of him with several holdings in hopes to isolate him and he folded to follow-thru aggression on the flop. Miraculously he's built his 100 buyin to close to 300 by catching some people offguard with lucky flops and his usual aggressive play. Anyways, here we go:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (5 handed) converter

SB ($269.80)
Hero ($385.25)
UTG ($230.35)
MP ($161.25)
Button ($12)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $16</font>, Hero calls $6.

Flop: ($34) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $42</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $84</font>, SB calls $42.

Turn: ($202) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $42</font>, SB calls $42.

River: ($286) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $62</font>, Hero calls $62.

Final Pot: $410

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Qd Ks (one pair, kings).
Hero has Ac Jd (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins $410. </font>

My line of thinking throughout the hand:
- Villian had been doing the minraise often but was passive when facing a reraise. Usually his aggression was saved for the flop, so his reraies preflop seemed to say AA, KK, QQ, maybe JJ TT. I thought it was likely I was drawing to a good ace as I couldn't see him making his play with AK AQ (though I was only 70% sure of this).
- Following that read, I read his flop overbet as a scared one wantind to induce a fold. When I raise I want nothing more than for him to fold and for the hand to end. When he calls my thinking becomes mottled.
- The turn was clearly the worst street for me. Any comments as to what type of thinking I should be going through at this point?
- The river was offering me close to 6-1 so I had to call.

I hope this post and my future ones will warrant interesting discussion, all criticism is welcomed.

JonnyUCB