Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-2005, 03:06 AM

Default advice on moving up

after picking up the game last summer and spending several months learning it in tournaments and sit and gos, a couple weeks ago i started playing low stakes ring games (0.10 bb). After reading this forum i thought if i made 4 or 5 bb per 100 hands i'd be doing pretty well and could maybe start moving up. After 8 sessions and about 1000 hands i'm up $112, which if i understand right is 56bb/100. This has suprised me... i don't have any illusions about being a great player. My guess is my game (at the moment) fits this level extremely well. I have the bankroll to move up a level, and i plan to if another 1000 hands or so show similar results, but i have real doubts i'll have anywhere near the same kind of success. Even if i'm hitting 10bb/100 (which is still be "crushing" the game i think?), im making less money. 5bb/100 in the $1bb game would be less money, and i have my doubts i could make even that much.

So here's my question: Is this kind of thing normal? Do players typically play a lower level than they're capable of beating, because its more profitable?