Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-26-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Bubble-ish, short stack, big decision. What do you do?

cross posted at MTT forum. not sure where i'd get more response.

Live tournament at local bar. 55 players, $100 +$25, with $50 add on. All told, 100 thousand chips in play. I've cashed the only other two times i've played here, and believe i should be playing to win. the buy-in is big for me, but not prohibitive. i don't want to sneak into the money.

12 left, in two tables of 6. The final table, the last 8, pay out. 1st place pays 45% of the $100 only, with the add on money going to "charity." So first is @$3000, and 2nd is in the neighborhood of $1500. Steep decline from there (obviously)

I have ~t5600. blinds 300/600 and a t50 ante.

folds to middle position LPP huge stack, who limps. He's made this play with any A, KQ, and the like. Cut off, an unknown with t10k, makes it 2400. the pot is T4200. Button folds.

In the small blind, I look down at A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. my image is tight, maybe even tight weak. i haven't played a hand at this table in two rounds since i've been there.

my options:
1)fold. i have t5300 left, about 1/2 the average stack. blinds and antes cost t1200 per round, which gives me not too much more time. but i could fold my way into a final table spot.
2) push. folding equity not great, with the raise being only t3200. raiser has better than 2:1, assuming the big blind and the limper fold. Big blind has me covered too, and would call with AJ and any pair bigger than 77.
3) stop and go. i have t3200 left if i just call and the big blind and limper fold, leaving me with a 50% pot-sized flop bet.
4) call with the intention of making a decision after the flop.

I made a decision. Then something happened.

What was the right move?

btw, this isn't a guessing game. i'm neither bragging about my play, nor am i hoping for sympathy. i would like to know what you'd do here, and why. Results when the flurry of responses dies down.