Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2005, 12:42 AM

Default KK decision, \"advanced\" thinking

I'll be the first to admit that I am not very good at this game. I'm a pretty ABC thinker so when this situation came up I was pretty happy at how I was able actually to think it through. For most this may be typical move, so is there anything else I should be thinking or doing in this hand?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Although this villian just sat at this table so I have no read on him [I think I may recognize the name as a decent player], when he 3bets out of the blind I get scared of a big hand so Im just waiting for that A to hit on the flop and curse the poker gods.

Flop: (13.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

So there is the freakin' ace I was just praying for. Piss. But here is where I actually thought about the situation. UTG+1 complicates things a bit but he is such a complete fish I just am going to leave him out for now.

Of all of the hands that a logical player would 3bet with out of the blinds there is AK, AA, KK, QQ, JJ and maybe 1010 and AQ. Of those 7 hands, there are actually only 3 that contain an ace. Of course he most likely does not have the other K's so its maybe a 50/50.

When he bets out I figure an agressive player will do this even if they dont have an ace because their hand is so strong. I figure he most likely doesnt have AA here because they would most likely slowplay it, but it is possible.
If he does have an ace or two I figure he will do one of two things if I raise him
a] 3bet me and I will fold
b] c/r me on the turn and I will fold

When he only calls my raise I become more confident that I may have him beat.

Turn: (9.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 folds.

So here when I bet and he just calls and UTG+1 folds I really get confident that I may have the best hand.

River: (11.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB

The Q on the river scares me a bit because one of his possible holdings may be QQ and he would c/r me. He also could possibly have been slowplaying me the whole time. I figure at this point a JJ or 1010 is probably not going to call one more bet so I check it through. Correct?

So how was my first real attempt at thinking on a higher level? Did I do everything right here or did I completely biff it? Hooray for thinking!