Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2002, 06:43 AM

Default How to play NL hold\'em in a tournament?

Hellow,

I wonder how this hand should be played. Bad beat happens quite often. But why doesn't it happen to the very best players? They always manage to built up their stack and make a come back. They always make the right decission at the right moment.
Last week-end I played a little tournament in Holland 14 players. Unlimitted buy-in during the first hour. $20 buy-in and after one hour $15 add-on.
I was first to speak and I raise the blind (10-20) with 200 (holding JJ). Person next to me folds and someone else went all-in. Everyone else folds (7 players in total). I still have the average amount of chips. If there would be no unlimited buy-ins I would have never called his all-in. But the guy pushing all-in had just won an all-in and I thought he was pushing me out. I had to call. So I did call his all-in. He was holding 10 10. Was is good to call this? What if there were no unlimited buy-ins? That means I would bust out if I lose this hand. I did lose the hand. He flopped a ten. It's a bad beat, who cares about the bad beat? I could have been out of the tournament. I just got myself a rebuy and I was back on track. If he had QQ, KK or AA I would have lost too. But how do you know if you took the best decission. This time I took the best decission.
Later that night I got the same hand. No buy-ins possible anymore. I was low on chips. Blinds were about 80-160. Someone raises blinds with 500 (half of my stack) and I raise him all in (1000). He calls with 33. JJ vs 33. I lost again. He flopped a three.
It wasn't a mistake from the other player. I was low on chips and I was bb. So he could have thought that I wanted to steal the blinds.
My question remains, why doesn't this happen to the best players?