Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2005, 09:14 PM

Default Daugherty/McEvoy No Limit Texas Hold Em

I was reading this book earlier today and the advice struck me as incredibly weak-tight. They only recommend playing 6 hands from EP in a no limit tournament. I am not a no limit tournament expert, but I believe that anyone who reads this book and applies the advice will seriously damage their chances of becoming a good no limit hold em tournament player.

Here's a glaring example of the weak-tight nature of the book:

Pg: 120

Playing Middle Pairs:

"You don't want to put a lot of chips in before the flop with these middle pairs because, even if you flop a set, there is the possibility that an opponent has flopped a larger set if the board comes with overcards."

And this example as well, from the same page:

"Remember that any card that comes that is higher than a pair could make a higher set for someone."

These people are seeing so many monsters under the bed.

Flopped set over set is so incredibly rare, in fact I've had it happen to me only once in 6 months of playing limit hold em, and the variantof hold em doesn't really matter.

After I read this page I just threw the book down in disgust and stopped reading it, knowing that I was going to get nothing out of this book.

I'm going to go back to reading Harrington on Hold Em now.