Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2005, 11:31 PM

Default Re: No longer pro. Have any questions?

Bison,

I am curious if you could comment on how your interviews went when it came to what you had been doing? did you go into details of what life was like as a poker pro? How were the reactions from the employer?? this is really just an open-ended question on anything interesting in your interviews with the folks at Google...

I promised myself I'd be as honest as possible during the interview process. The resume they had was from August (when we never quite got around to an interview). So when they asked me what I'd been doing in the meantime I told them the truth: I've been supporting myself as a poker player. "It's been financially rewarding, but not very interesting and I'm eager to get back into a team atmosphere."

That was it. If they'd asked I could have talked about hours and self-discipline and whatever, but basically, they liked me and didn't feel that it reflected poorly on me (especially considering the bay area tech job market).

The most interesting part was that, having signed an NDA for the interview, they still couldn't tell me any details about the gmail support group I'll be working in. Apparently, the size of these tech support groups for yahoo, hotmail, gmail are all closely guarded secrets. I have no idea, and by the time I do, I won't want to tell.

I didn't list the converter (or my poker article here) on the resume because they didn't ask for an update, and my last job (tech support) was much more relevant.